Friends of the Flower Show



Email Signup

Want to be kept up to date with

Theale Flower Show events?


Join our email list!


Home Committee Committee Minutes Minutes 31-7-2017

Theale Flower Show Committee Meeting

Minutes Monday 31st July 2017

Present : Carolyn and Pete Drew, Lesley and David Luke ,  Nick and Jan Avery,  Mary Clark, Phil and Cathy Butterworth, Yvonne Hutchison, Sheila Badman, Sharon Tucker, Trev and Joyce Hunt and Jackie Scriven

Apologies:   Edwin Badman, Mary and Ted  Hatch and Dave Tucker

 

 

Comments

Action

1

Welcome and apologies for absence

 

2

Minutes of last meeting were agreed and accepted by the committee and signed by Carolyn Drew.

 

3

Matters arising-  All will be covered during the meeting

 

 

4

Treasurer’s update –

Yvonne reported that she had received 5 sponsor prizes so far. The Halliwells have paid £100 for the use of our tent. £54.50 was taken on the pottery day. A cheque for £95 has been sent for payment of the schedules.

An invoice for the hire of the tent/tables has been received to be paid  a week before the show -£1701.60 less the deposit, which includes damage waiver, delivery and VAT.

£242 was taken for raffle tickets at the Wedmore street fair.

The bank balances are as follows:-

 General Acc. £5226.73

Reserve Acc. £6046.03

 

 

 

 

5

Sub committee and ad hoc committee updates:

a)      Social and catering – Lesley L was happy to report that the Quiz night raised just over£200 when combining ticket takings less expenses (£152.73) and bar takings less expenses (£61). (Some stock from the bar will be carried over to the show)

The pottery event had 18 children attending and approximately £50 was raised, Jan Tomes kindly donated the materials as well as her time.

Unfortunately, due to lack of support, the flower arranging/coffee morning had to be cancelled.

b)      Admin- Cathy Butterworth reported that schedules had been printed and distributed.

Letters requesting cups to be returned have been sent out.

              Committee has previously discussed

              refurbishing or replacing cups and it was

              suggested that last year’s winners

              return their cups earlier to enable this

              to happen.

              C B has spoken to a company at

              Rooksbridge re replating cups and they

              Quoted between £75 and £100 or new

              cups for approx.£75 with solid silver

              cups costing around £1000. The original

             donors of the cups would have to be

             consulted if they are to be replaced. CB

             suggested 2 possibilities 1) To do 2 or

             3 a year after inspection or 2) nothing

             to be done before show and all

             winners to be asked to leave cups on the

             day rather than take them away in order

             to assess and value them. After some

             discussion Trev Hunt proposed that the

             second action be taken and PB

             seconded.

             There had been a query about the

             Photograph classes which CB has dealt

             With.

             CB explained that a decision will be

             made by 15th August as to whether or

             not to have a back up computer system

             on show day.

             It has been decided to give the judges

             Cards for their comments on the proviso

             that they only write something if they

             Think it necessary and use sparingly.

              CB asked NA if he could let her know

              which were cash and which gifts, to

              which NA explained that most were

              cash although JA pointed out that the

              Nursery donations would be gifts.

 

6

2017 Show –

a)      PAT test PB explained that due to an accident the usual tester is not available so PB is using another contact and it will be done before the show although in fact most equipment was up to date with testing. However the armoured cabling is in poor condition and needs to be replaced at a cost of approx. £75 which was agreed

b)      Catering – LL first asked the committee if they had any suggestions or comments to make for the forthcoming show and all agreed that they were happy at how things had been done in the past. Meat is to be ordered again from Hectors. LL has spoken to Carrie Large and she is happy to make a rice salad. In addition JA will make a bean salad, SB a Waldorf and JH Coleslaw. LL has decided to buy potato salad from Lidl.

Teas – Yvonne will make scones and CB volunteered a gluten free cake.

Colin Fox is happy to run the evening BBQ including purchasing all necessary food etc. He will need to have the BBQ set up.

c)      Dog show – CD’s nephew Oliver Patten is happy to run the dog show. 10 classes was suggested to run between 2.30 and 4.00. OP has a horse box, will also need a gazebo and NA asked if they need  a ring but CD thought that he is able to provide himself. OP will let us know what prizes he needs, NA explained that the Vets who have done it in the past usually just provide a rosette and a doggy toy as prizes.

d)      Children’s activities – LL has spoken to Carrie Large who has asked if we can help find people to assist. There was a young mum at the pottery event and we will try to find out who she is via Amy Drew who seemed to know her so that we can approach her to see if she might be interested in helping and also  it was suggested that Karen Dawkins might be willing to help. If anyone knows of any possible additional helpers please get in touch with LL.

Sharon T is happy to run some table activities again this year

JS has organised bouncy castle as discussed at last meeting.

Sheila will speak to Janet re ice cream stall.

e)      Entertainment – It was agreed to ask Sam Crane to perform between 5.30 and 6.00 and Hayley (SB’s hairdresser) 6.30 to 7.00. Following that we will play recorded music until 8.30

ST mentioned that the Woodroffe family might be interested in playing and it was decided to ask them for next year’s show.

f)       Flower arranging – Jean Tinknell organised. 2.30 to 3.30. Mary Clarke suggested that a donation box might be placed nearby for church funds

g)      Flower Queen – Final decision about where TH will drive the Flower Queen to be made at site meeting, but suggested up the road and into car park. Karen Fox should be involved in decision.

TH questioned where tickets to be sold and PD suggested at entrance of big Marquee which should also be the site of ribbon cutting?

The question of proof of ticket purchase was raised and it was suggested that a rubber stamp on back of hand would suffice CD to investigate.

h)      Risk Assessment – PD handed out draft copy , if anyone has any amendments or suggestions they should email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

PB noted that fire extinguishers will be needed and he will research hiring

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PB – New Cable

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

LL Meat order

 

 

JA Bean salad

SB Waldorf salad

JH Coleslaw

 

YH Scones

CB Gluten free cake

 

CF purchasing BBQ food

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Prizes ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CD to ask AD

 

 

LL to ask Karen D

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SB speak to Janet

 

 

JS speak to Sam

SB speak to Hayley

 

 

 

Speak to Woodroffes

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Karen F liaise with TH re flower queen

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CD rubber stamp

 

 

 

 

 

PB fire extinguishers

7

Wedmore Street Fair – Thanks to all who manned the stall, as reported by Yvonne £242 from raffle tickets.

NA asked if site was ok and CB said it was. A black umbrella was left on the day

 

 

8

Vice president’s review – No update

 

9

Correspondence – none received

 

10

AOB – Very late but advert for Wedmore news LL to arrange.

ST to sort painting of large notices

TH questioned why meetings in Village Hall, it was explained that during summer we will meet in hall and in winter we will use Panborough

It was agreed that Jackie Scriven could have a stall at the show

Trevor Prideaux has agreed to speak at the harvest supper on 18th November

LL Wedmore News

 

ST signs

11

Date of next Meeting  -

Site meeting 29/8/17 at 7.00

Next committee meeting Monday 16th October 8.00 at Panborough, LL to check with them.

AGM 20th Nov

 

 

 

Flower Show Images

Theale13.JPG

Countdown

The 2018 Theale Flower Show is on Saturday 1st September 2018
to go! Time flies....

Profile Information

Application afterLoad: 0.000 seconds, 0.88 MB
Application afterInitialise: 0.046 seconds, 3.94 MB
Application afterRoute: 0.055 seconds, 4.72 MB
Application afterDispatch: 0.139 seconds, 9.41 MB
Application afterRender: 0.247 seconds, 10.44 MB

Memory Usage

11061952

11 queries logged

  1. SELECT *
      FROM jos_session
      WHERE session_id = '46181054daa4bbd345c8761097fa4281'
  2. DELETE
      FROM jos_session
      WHERE ( TIME < '1532274461' )
  3. SELECT *
      FROM jos_session
      WHERE session_id = '46181054daa4bbd345c8761097fa4281'
  4. INSERT INTO `jos_session` ( `session_id`,`time`,`username`,`gid`,`guest`,`client_id` )
      VALUES ( '46181054daa4bbd345c8761097fa4281','1532275361','','0','1','0' )
  5. SELECT *
      FROM jos_components
      WHERE parent = 0
  6. SELECT folder AS TYPE, element AS name, params
      FROM jos_plugins
      WHERE published >= 1
      AND access <= 0
      ORDER BY ordering
  7. SELECT m.*, c.`option` AS component
      FROM jos_menu AS m
      LEFT JOIN jos_components AS c
      ON m.componentid = c.id
      WHERE m.published = 1
      ORDER BY m.sublevel, m.parent, m.ordering
  8. SELECT template
      FROM jos_templates_menu
      WHERE client_id = 0
      AND (menuid = 0 OR menuid = 68)
      ORDER BY menuid DESC
      LIMIT 0, 1
  9. SELECT a.*, u.name AS author, u.usertype, cc.title AS category, s.title AS SECTION, CASE WHEN CHAR_LENGTH(a.alias) THEN CONCAT_WS(":", a.id, a.alias) ELSE a.id END AS slug, CASE WHEN CHAR_LENGTH(cc.alias) THEN CONCAT_WS(":", cc.id, cc.alias) ELSE cc.id END AS catslug, g.name AS groups, s.published AS sec_pub, cc.published AS cat_pub, s.access AS sec_access, cc.access AS cat_access  
      FROM jos_content AS a
      LEFT JOIN jos_categories AS cc
      ON cc.id = a.catid
      LEFT JOIN jos_sections AS s
      ON s.id = cc.SECTION
      AND s.scope = "content"
      LEFT JOIN jos_users AS u
      ON u.id = a.created_by
      LEFT JOIN jos_groups AS g
      ON a.access = g.id
      WHERE a.id = 156
      AND (  ( a.created_by = 0 )    OR  ( a.state = 1
      AND ( a.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR a.publish_up <= '2018-07-22 16:02:41' )
      AND ( a.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR a.publish_down >= '2018-07-22 16:02:41' )   )    OR  ( a.state = -1 )  )
  10. UPDATE jos_content
      SET hits = ( hits + 1 )
      WHERE id='156'
  11. SELECT id, title, module, POSITION, content, showtitle, control, params
      FROM jos_modules AS m
      LEFT JOIN jos_modules_menu AS mm
      ON mm.moduleid = m.id
      WHERE m.published = 1
      AND m.access <= 0
      AND m.client_id = 0
      AND ( mm.menuid = 68 OR mm.menuid = 0 )
      ORDER BY POSITION, ordering

Language Files Loaded

Untranslated Strings Diagnostic

None

Untranslated Strings Designer

None